Strikethrough Shortcut for Windows & Mac 2020
What do you do when you have got a lot of errands to run? You make a list and strike out the things that you did. And you use that to navigate your way. But have you heard of a strikethrough shortcut?
The strikethrough format proves itself useful when it comes to computer apps as well. But a lot of people don’t use it because they don’t know how to. Hence in this article, we are going to talk about strikethrough texts and their shortcuts.
What is Strikethrough text?
It is a type of font that causes the text to appear as crossed out. Most commonly the line passes through the middle of the text. But there are many variations to it and there are several platforms in which you can apply this effect.
1. Strikethrough text in word
Applying single-line strikethrough formatting
- Place your cursor near the text that you want to change.
- Click and drag the cursor in order to select that text.
- Click on the Home tab near the top left corner of the screen.
- You will see the strikethrough option to the right of the Underline option.
- Click on it to enable the effect.
To disable the effect
- Select the text with the strikethrough font.
- Hit the Home tab.
- Choose the Strikethrough option yet again.
2. Applying double line strikethrough formatting
- Use the cursor to select the text that you want to change.
- You will see several tabs on top of the screen.
- Choose the Home tab among them.
- Go to the Font dialogue box.
- There is a small arrow on the bottom right corner of the dialogue box called Font Dialogue Box Launcher. Select it.
- Then proceed to choose the Font tab.
- Click on the Double strikethrough option and you are done.
Removing double strikethrough text
Removing this font is much simpler when compared to the way it was brought about in the first place.
- Select the text that has the font with the help of the cursor.
- Go on and choose the Home tab located near the top left corner of the screen.
- Next, go to the Font group.
- Now choose the Strikethrough option twice and you are good to go.
2. Strikethrough format in WhatsApp
Because of the usefulness of this text format is quite natural that people would want to use it daily chats. So here is how you do it.
- Type a ~ symbol before you want to enter the text that you want to change.
- After you are done typing in your message, again type a ~ symbol.
- Once you send the text, the message will appear in strikethrough format.
Strikethrough Shortcut in Word
This font sure comes in handy in a lot of situations. But unfortunately, there is no shortcut through which you can quickly summon the text style. You will be aware of ribbon guide shortcuts which lets you perform tasks super fast. In case you don’t, the ribbon guide can be opened by pressing Alt + H.
How to strikethrough in word easily?
1. Strikethrough keyboard shortcut for Windows
- Alt + H + 4
2. Strikethrough keyboard shortcut for Mac
- Command + Shift + X
3. Customized strikethrough text shortcut
You can always choose to keep the Font group showing and hence select strikethrough from it when required. Still, it won’t be the same as the shortcuts for several other features in word. Luckily though, word allows you to set up your own shortcuts for features without them. And that is what we are going to do next.
- Firstly, you need to open the Font dialogue box. Press the Ctrl button and D key on your keyboard to open it.
- The window has two tabs named Find and Advanced. Choose the former.
- Press the Alt key and Ctrl key on your keyboard and then hold down on the + sign on the numerical keyboard.
- You will find that your cursor is now in a shape resembling a clover. (⌘)
- Under the Effects section, you will see checkboxes for several text features. Tick the one against Strikethrough.
(The clover may turn back to a standard pointer at any point of time and revert back. Don’t mind this change. This is pretty normal.)
- As soon as you complete the above step, a Customize Keyboard dialogue box will pop up. Furthermore, the Press New Shortcut Key box will be ready for you with a blinking insertion point.
- Input the combination of keys that you want to. You can do that by pressing on them on your keyboard.
By an off chance, if the combination is already under use by another feature it will be shown under Customize Keyboard dialogue box.
- Once you assign a combo that is not previously assigned, choose the shortcut that is now assigned to apply it.
- Once you are done, choose the Close option to get rid of the dialogue box.
- Finally, close the Font dialogue box with the help of the Cancel option.
Shortcut for Strikethrough in Excel
Method 1: Strikethrough text through format cells
This method is not actually a shortcut but you should know it anyway.
- Select the text that you want to change.
- Press the Control key and 1 key on your keyboard or right-click and choose the Format Cells option.
- The Format Cells dialogue box will open soon.
- Go to Font section and choose tick the box against Strikethrough and choose OK.
Method 2: Customising the Quick Access Toolbar
In this method, we are going to put the Strikethrough icon in the quick access toolbar.
- Go to the quick access toolbar and then right-click it. You can just click on the last option.
- Choose the Customize Quick Access Toolbar option.
- Access the drop-down list under Choose commands from option and select the All Commands option.
- Look for Strikethrough on the list. Once you find it, select it and then click Add.
- Choose the OK option and the icon will appear on the quick access toolbar.
Method 3: Keyboard shortcut for strikethrough
There is a simple shortcut for strikethrough formatting in Excel. Just select the text that you want to change and hit Ctrl + 5 for Windows. On the other hand, strikethrough shortcut Mac is Ctrl + 1.
Google Docs Strikethrough Shortcut
Google docs are quite a useful app. I won’t go into much detail about strikethrough formatting in it but, here is the shortcut. Select the text as usual and use the combination Alt + Shift + 5.
Strikethrough command for Mac in case of Google Docs is:
- Command + Shift + X
Strikethrough Text Shortcut in PowerPoint
Microsoft PowerPoint is another MS software that we use on a regular basis. While working on a PPT, you may require a strikethrough to draw the attention of the audience. But if you need multiple strikethroughs, a shortcut key for strikethrough will definitely save your time.
1. Strikethrough command shortcut
- Alt + H + 4
2. Strikethrough text shortcut for Windows
- Select the word or line you want to apply this pattern.
- Press Ctrl + T and open Font window.
- Now press Alt + K to tick against strikethrough option.
- Hit Enter and you are done!
3. Strikethrough text shortcut for Mac
- Select everything you want to apply strikethrough on.
- Press Command + T and it will open Font screen.
- Tick the appropriate option and it’s done!
If you are down on your luck and are working with an app in which you don’t know how to use the strikethrough option, just go online. Now you can search for a strikethrough generator. After you get the desired output from it, copy it and paste it where you need it.
The article above showed you the various ways in which you can achieve strikethrough text across different platforms. If you can manage to keep these little things at the back of your mind, it will help you out a lot. Keep visiting aircartapp.com for such helpful tricks and solutions.