How to Fix WerFault.exe Application Error in Windows 10/8
There are several errors that can mess with your system along with your mind. But if you have found your way to this article then that means that you are dealing with one particular error. The WerFault.exe application error to be more specific. Well, you have come to the right place. This article will provide you with some methods that you can try out to get rid of this error message.
What is WerFault.exe?
WerFault.exe is located in the system32 folder along with WerMgr.exe. You really do need WerFault.exe Windows 10/8. It is important for Windows Error Reporting services. It helps you to keep up with updates and also gives notifications regarding application faults, unresponsive applications and other such problems about Windows apps.
The WerFault.exe application error caused due to corruption of one of these files is a source of several troubles. The werfault.exe error will play a good hand in slowing down your computer because of high CPU usage. It will get worse if you don’t solve it and cause other issues.
Causes of WerFault.exe application error
The error is caused due to the damage or corruption of the WerFault.exe or WerMgr.exe file. There are a handful of reasons that can lead to it. Here are a few of them:
- The WerMgr.exe or WerFault.exe file may be affected by a virus.
- The files get replaced with other system files during updating.
- Sometimes the files get deleted by accident.
- Not installing or uninstalling an app can also cause the same.
How to fix WerFault.exe application error
We have spent enough time talking about the nature and causes of WerFault.exe error. Now let’s take a look at ways to fix it.
Solution 1: Run Windows Memory Diagnostic tool
You can use Windows Memory Diagnostic to remove unwanted errors and enhance your computer’s performance. This is how you operate it:
- You must be familiar with the Windows Search bar near the Windows button. Go to it and type in Windows memory diagnostic tool. Hit enter.
- Click on Windows memory diagnostic tool from the search results.
- On running the tool, you will see a window open as depicted below.
- In that window, you will see a Restart now and check for problems Choose it.
- Wait for the process to finish. It will probably get rid of the error on restarting.
Solution 2: Use System file checker
SFC stands for System File Checker. This tool can help you to scan Windows and restore files. The tool can even help you even to prevent a potential system crash. However, to use it in the current situation here’s how to fix werfault.exe error in windows 10:
- The first thing you need to know is to open the Command Prompt. Click the Windows button and X button on your keyboard to open it.
- Choose Command Prompt(admin).
- Opening it will lead you to a black screen. Without moving the cursor, type in sfc /scannow. Hit enter.
- The command will run by itself. If it finds any damaged or corrupted files, it will replace them with a cached version. These are stored in the windows dllcache folder.
- Once the process ends, restart your system.
Solution 3: Reinstall display drivers
Sometimes the cause behind these errors might be display drivers. It is quite easy to fix. Just follow the steps below:
- You need to open the Run dialogue box. Click the Windows button on your keyboard along with the R button to make this possible.
- A small dialogue box appears. Type in devmgmt.msc in the area provided and click on the OK option or hit Enter key.
- You will be taken to the Device Manager. Spot Display adaptors option and expand it by clicking the small arrow to it’s left.
- Right-click on the display driver under the Display adaptors tab. Now choose the Uninstall device option from the drop-down list.
- After it completes, choose the Action tab from the top left corner.
- From the drop-down list that appears to choose Scan for hardware changes.
- Now the device will reinstall the missing hardware by itself. You won’t have to break a sweat.
Solution 4: Disable Windows Error Reporting Service
This method will surely help you out. It can take out both WerMgr.exe and WerFault.exe hence by fixing how to fix werfault.exe application error. Follow the steps below:
- Open the Run dialogue box just like you did in the above solution.
- Type in services.MSC in the space provided and click OK or hit Enter
- You will be taken to Service Manager.
- Look for Windows Error Reporting Service and open it by double-clicking it.
- A new window appears. From its options for Startup type, choose Disabled. After it selects the Apply Now finally click on OK.
- Restart your computer and you will be done.
Solution 5: Scan using Windows Defender
Sometimes WerFault.exe application error can be caused by viruses. You can solve the problem by using simple software such as Windows Defender. Here’s how:
- Open then Windows Defender Security Center. You can look for it using the windows search bar.
- Click on the Virus & threat protection.
- Go to Scan Options > Full Scan and hit Scan now button.
- Restart your computer after deleting possible threats.
WerFault.exe is one of the many several annoying error messages that an average windows user faces every day. Potential causes have been mentioned in this article. Besides, the whole point of this article is to provide you with ways of solving it. We hope you have fixed the issue by now.