7 Ways to Fix Error 0xc0000142 in Windows 10/8.1/8
Error 0xc0000142 appears quite often when you are trying to run a particular app or program. It is a quite common error but fixable nonetheless. The most common cause of the error is missing or corrupted files. That being said, there might be several sources where this error can occur.
Like I said the error is fixable and it is easy to do so. In this article, we will talk about some of the ways in which you can tackle this issue and get rid of it.
Application was unable to start correctly. (0xC0000142)
Causes of error 0xc0000142
This is basically related to a program you’re trying to open and therefore there is a high probability that the program you’re about to open has malfunctioned. Besides, here are a few responsible causes for error code 0xc0000142.
- Program file corruption
- Loss of system file (restricting to open excel – 0xc0000142 office)
- Corrupted/incomplete software installation
- Missing DirectX and/or .NET framework
- Antivirus conflict
- Incorrect placement of registry files
- Unwanted installed programs
How to fix error 0xc0000142
Whatever the error your Windows is giving on the screen, don’t be panic. Calm down and try to see what is causing the issue. If you can’t the specific one, like 0x80070422, start troubleshooting errors with the following solutions.
Solution 1: Perform a Clean Boot
Performing a clean boot is a good place to start. It is a method that can help you with a bunch of similar errors. Sometimes it is the conflict between startup programs that causes errors. A clean boot helps deal with that. It is basically a reboot with minimum number divers and startup programs.
- Go to the Windows Search bar.
- Type in MSConfig and hit enter.
- System Configuration will appear in the search results. Open it.
- Go to the Service tab. Check the box against Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Choose the Disable all option.
- Now to the Startup tab.
- You can see an Open Task Manager option. Click it.
- When the Task Manager opens, choose Disable for all of the Startup items. Close it after that.
- Go back to the Startup tab of the System Configuration and choose the OK option.
- Restart your system.
Solution 2: Repair corrupted system files
The SFC stands for System File Checker. It is a utility tool that lets you look around for corrupted files in your system and it helps you repair them. Error 0xc0000142 can occur due to corrupted system files as well. Since SFC is an inbuilt tool available in several versions of Windows, you don’t have to worry about installing it.
- Press the Windows key + R key on your keyboard at the same time to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type in cmd and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Alternatively, you can use the search bar to look for cmd or Command Prompt. You do have to run it as an administrator either way.
- In the prompt screen type in SFC /scannow and then hit Enter. Be careful to put the space between SFC and /scannow.
- Now SFC will start to automatically detect and repair corrupted files.
Solution 3: Update your graphics card drivers
This method deals with the malfunctioning of graphics card drivers which can also act as one of the causes of error code 0xc0000142. Sometimes the drivers may become corrupted or may have some missing or outdated files. The best thing to do under such a situation is to update your graphic driver.
- Get to the Windows Search bar.
- Use it to look for the Device Manager.
- Open the app from the search results. Or, Windows + X can get you the same option directly.
- Find the Display adapters in the Device Manager. Click on the arrow beside it to expand it.
- Now you should look for the graphics card that you are using. Right-click on it once you find it.
- Choose the Update Driver option from the menu.
- On the next window that appears, select the Search automatically for updated driver software. If available, Windows will start installing the newest version of the driver.
- Once you are done with the installation, Reboot your PC.
Solution 4: Change the value of LoadAppInit_DLLs
DLLs are a kind of file that have codes and data regarding several applications. The AppInit_DLLs allows you to tinker around with these DLLs to improve your software’s performance.
- Press the Windows key + R key on your keyboard at the same time. The Run dialogue box will appear.
- In the Run dialogue box type in Regedit, and click on OK.
- Use the left pane of the screen to go to the location as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion \Windows\LoadAppInit_DDLs
- Double click on LoadApplnit_DLLs on the left pane.
- In the value data, change the value from 1 to 0.
- Choose the OK option and then leave. This is all you need to do.
Solution 5: Run the application in Compatibility Mode
Opening the app in this mode will fix any software compatibility that might be there.
- Right-click on the app that is showing the error.
- Choose the Properties option and select the Compatibility tab from it.
- Choose Run Compatibility Troubleshooter from this tab.
- Now check the box against Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Choose the compatibility mode according to your preference.
- Under Settings panel, check the box against Run this program as an administrator.
- Choose the Apply option and then leave.
- On the next window, choose the recommended settings option.
- Click on Test the program… and if it runs, choose Yes, save these settings for this program.
- If that doesn’t work, choose another operating system and try again.
Solution 6: Repair program throwing error 0xc0000142
Because of corrupted files of a specific program, it causes trouble. In our case, Microsoft Excel was giving “The application was unable to start correctly” error. We repaired the entire installation and got 0xc0000142 office fixed. Here’s how you can fix it:
- Open Settings panel and search for Apps & features.
- Find the program causing issues out of the listed install program.
- Tap on the program and choose Modify option.
- Select Yes when it asks if you are okay to make changes to your device.
- Choose Online Repair at last and it will start the repair process.
Solution 7: Reinstall the program
This is basically uninstalling and installing the program throwing this error. For example, if Microsoft PowerPoint is giving you error 0xc0000142, this may be happening because you have probably the latest version of Microsoft Office.
0xc0000142 office error can be easily solved by uninstalling the Microsoft Office first. Once done, it is recommended to install an older version. There is no big difference in 2016 and 2019 versions of the office. So, it won’t be of any issue.
The error in question is 0xc0000142. It interferes with your work and is annoying as usual just like any other error. But it is quite easy to fix and the article shows you several methods to do the same. Try them out. Fix that error and get back to whatever you were doing.